Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Gluten-casein-sugar-free chocolate cake recipe

Today is my son's birthday. Yesterday I mentioned on Twitter that I was making a gluten-casein-sugar-free birthday cake for him, and I received a few requests for the recipe. So I'm taking a break from my usual posts on writing and publishing to give it to you. 

My son is autistic and on a gluten-casein free diet, while I'm on a sugar-free diet, so it's a weird recipe we can all enjoy. I had to improvise it myself. I know it doesn't taste as good as the real thing, but if you're in a similar situation, I hope this recipe works out for you too. If not, you could try adapting it to your tastes. Enjoy!



SHEVI'S GLUTEN-CASEIN-SUGAR-FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE

Ingredients:

·         1 1/2 cups gluten-free baking mix (I use Arrowhead Mills all-purpose baking mix)
·         1 1/4 teaspoons stevia powder extract (I use SweetLeaf stevia extract)
·         1/4 teaspoon salt
·         1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
·         3/4 teaspoon baking soda
·         1 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze (if you have a tree-nut allergy, replace Almond Breeze with unsweetened vanilla soy milk)
·         2/3 cup vegetable oil (I use Hollywood expeller pressed safflower oil)
·         3 eggs


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and lightly flour baking pan (with gluten-free baking mix).  Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix in the Almond Breeze, oil, and eggs. Make sure it’s all blended well. (At this stage I like to taste it to see if it needs more stevia or salt, and I add whatever I think it needs more of.) Pour cake batter into baking pan, and place in the center of the oven on a baking rack to bake. After about 25 minutes, poke the middle of the cake with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready to come out of the oven. If not, give it another five minutes and check again. 

The batter is also great for making chocolate pancakes. Unfortunately, I don’t have a recipe for gluten-casein-sugar-free frosting yet.

Hope it works out for you. Enjoy!

No comments: